The camping industry is a multi-billion dollar industry that continues to grow every year. Here we will discuss the current state of camping, as well as statistics, trends, and predictions for the future of this industry.
Current Market Statistics Of The Camping Industry
- Every year, the camping industry generates about $8 billion in revenue.
- The camping industry makes up about 1% of the total leisure market.
- The camping industry has an annual growth rate of 2.3%.
Profit And Revenue Statistics For The Camping Industry
- Campgrounds make an average revenue of $80,000-$200,000 per year.
- Camping equipment stores make an average revenue of $3 million per year.
- The profit margin for campground owners is about 20-30%.
- The average camper spends about $1,500 on camping gear every year.
- Campgrounds typically charge an average of $50-$80 per night.
Employment Statistics For The Camping Industry
- The camping industry employs about 200,000 people.
- The average wage for camping industry employees is $22 per hour.
- The most common jobs in the camping industry are campground managers, camping equipment salespeople, and camp counselors.
Other Current Statistics And Trends For The Camping Industry
- Camping is the third most popular vacation activity in the United States, behind only visiting friends and relatives, and going to the beach.
- There are over 330,000 camping sites in the United States alone.
- Approximately 40 million people go camping every year in the United States.
- Of those who camp, 75% camp in tents, 25% camp in RVs, and 5% camp in cabins.
- The majority of campers are between the ages of 25 and 44.
- Camping is becoming more popular with millennials, with 36% of camping trips being taken by people aged 18-34.
- Car camping is the most popular type of camping, with about 60% of camping trips being taken by car.
- The most popular camping activities are hiking (80%), fishing (51%), and camping with friends or family (47%).
Future Trends And Outlook For The Camping Industry
- The camping industry is expected to grow to a $12 billion market by 2020.
- The number of camping trips is expected to increase by 1% every year until 2020.
- Camping will continue to be popular with millennials, with the number of camping trips taken by this age group expected to increase by 2% every year until 2020.
- The camping industry will continue to be driven by the trend of people wanting to disconnect from technology and connect with nature.
- More camping grounds will offer amenities such as Wi-Fi, cable TV, and laundry facilities to appeal to a wider range of campers.
- There will be an increase in camping gear rentals as people become more interested in camping but do not want to invest in their own gear.
- There will be a shift towards eco-friendly camping as people become more conscious of the impact camping has on the environment.
- There will be an increase in camping trips that are combined with other activities such as hiking, biking, and kayaking.
The camping industry is a booming market that is only going to continue to grow in the coming years. Camping businesses should make sure they are up-to-date on the latest statistics and trends so they can make the most of this growing industry. Hopefully, this article has offered some insight into the current state of camping, as well as what the future growth will be for this industry.